LOFOTEN
WAR
MUSEUM
MAIN PAGE
Occupation


SVOLVÆR  
































NS















 





TELEGRAM











German cement-sack



OCCUPATION
- 2
Svolvær 1940-45.

The place in Lofoten most heavily armed with military construction by the Wehrmacht was Svolvær. At the hills and highs there were mounted guns and spotlights. The areas surrounding the oil companies BP and Shell were heavily fortified with two 8,8 cm guns. These were modern and power full guns, and could be used at any target at sea.

Near the entrance of the harbour on an island called “Kuba” a big fortification was situated.But the main guns were old French 15 cm from 1908. They were taken by the Germans when French capitulated in 1940.

The Wehrmacht were running short of guns, and took advantage of whatever they could lay their hands off. At a small island right outside Svolvær (Skjæringen), they used wooden logs as decoy-guns.

But in Svolvær the guns were real enough and were mounted so they could literally control all entrances by sea. At the dominant heights around in Svolvær the Germans dug in with all in all 23 20mm machineguns. Apart from this, machinegun nests were placed strategically all over town to control main streets and intersections.

All areas around the docks and other military installations, were mined. Big bunkers were excavated into hills and mountains numerous places. Tunnels extended as far as 200 meters in several directions, equipped with living rooms and sleeping quarters. The German security services, S.D. and the Gestapo had their own emergency quarters. Also a big field bunker-hospital was build. Huge radio-antennas were placed, reporting daily to Berlin.



German field gendarm.

Oiltanks on fire in Svolvær 4.march 1941

Luftwaffe - Radiooperator

NS The Norwegian nazi-party N.S.

N.S. stands for national socialism, but were during the war called National Unity (Nasjonal Samling).

This movement, often referred to as right wing, is incorrect, as it is originally a socialist movement. Expressions like “fight capitalism” is repeatedly found in N.S campaigns. N.S never got the support Quisling had hoped for.

This inspire intense propaganda, using spectacular posters, speeches, lectures and uniforms. At it’s top the N.S. had about 50 000 members. Instead of uniting the nation it spitted the population between it’s members and the rest of the people.

The massive construction of military bases , bunkers and forts, led to a shortage of cement. As Norway only could supply about 15%, The Germans had to ship the remaining 85% from Germany.

If you wonder why we have framed this cement bag, it’s because it’s extremely rare. Maybe the only one in existence in the entire world to day. The bag was located south of Bodø.


NS




HOMAGETELEGRAM
to Quisling
from bishop Lothe
of
the NS


85 % of the cement
Wehrmacht need for
building bunkers,
came from Germany.





German cement-sack
LOFOTEN WAR MUSEUM
webdesign: bkh © 2001